Welcome

I am a God-loving, husband-adoring, mybabyboys-hugging, mind-reeling, photo-taking, life-documenting, yummyfood-cooking, garden-planting, country-living girl. Writing about life, with boys, in the sticks...
this is life... with boys... in the country...
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7 Slideshow Image 8 Slideshow Image 9 Slideshow Image 10 Slideshow Image 11 Slideshow Image 12 Slideshow Image 13 Slideshow Image 14 Slideshow Image 15 Slideshow Image 16 Slideshow Image 17

Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother's Day - part 1

I never fully appreciated Mother's Day until I became a mother, or at least not as much as I should have. And not because now I get to have a day 'about me...' Not at all.

In fact, for the past two years all I wanted for Mother's Day was hanging baskets, which I picked out myself (gladly). And this year, all I want is another nod of support from my hubby toward my desire to upgrade my camera.

No, now that I am a mama, I appreciate Mother's Day more because for three reasons. I'll talk about the first two here, and the third in 'Part 2'.

First; I now understand, and appreciate, what my mom went through as a mother. Not FULLY, though, because by God's grace I will never have to be a mother to a teenage girl (I still feel like I should be apologizing to my parents). But I do see what she did as a stay-at-home-mama for three little ones and this produces a big, fat, "THANK YOU", and a "How did you do it?" from me to my mom.

I know it is hard to believe, but she still regards those days as the BEST days of her life. My dad worked a lot and with strange hours, so she was there with us a lot by herself. I never remember her yelling or getting stressed out; two things that characterize my everyday.

And second; I celebrate my mom 100% more now on Mother's Day because the help and guidance she gives in my mothering is priceless. She listens without judgement, offers just enough advice, and cleans my floors when she visits without being asked. She comes to visit for weekends at a time and does everything from changing diapers to dishes to baths to entertaining the boys. She does it just because she knows it makes my day a little (okay, a lot) easier. To give me a break. She does it because she WANTS to... how 'bout that?

That help is amazing, but it is the love that she gives to my kiddos that makes me think my mom is ... well... there just aren't words. 'Love' is an understatement when it comes to her feelings toward them and theirs toward her. She is patient, tolerant, and engaging. She plays 'dinosaurs' and any other games they can think of, which they don't even ASK me to play.

Seriously, Grammie driving up the driveway is better than Santa coming down the chimney. And after she leaves, Cooper refers to me AND Matt as 'Grammie' for at least a week, probably wishing we'd magically transform into her.

The break she gives me is more than time to rest; it is time to observe the best mothering in action and to be inspired by it. I feel like I am a better mom thanks to her, because she's shown me how it is done.

So here's to my mom... Happy, Happy Day to you. I'm sorry we can't spend the day together, but at least now the world wide web knows how wonderful are.

6 comments:

Dianne said...

You are so sweet Lacey. As a mother myself, I'm certain your words and feelings you shared are the best gift EVER...Can't buy it with all the money in the world!

Happy Mother's Day little Mama :0)

Love ~ Auntie Dianne

lacey said...

Thank you for the kind words! I am very blessed to have several wonderful 'mother' role-models and you are definetly one of them.

Love to you on this special day!

Mom said...

To my dear daughter....I thank God every day for you. YOU are my gift. God has blessed you with a wonderful husband and three oh-so-dear little boys. I am so thankful that I can share in your family's life. I am so blessed.

I also thank God for my dear mother, who was a wonderful example of "grammiehood." You were "her girl." She loved all of her grandchildren so much.

I love you, sweetpea. Happy Mother's Day.

Le Poppy Design said...

Ok Lacey, this is Michelle Curry and I've been secretly stalking your blog since you announced on Facebook a couple of days ago that you started one. I wasn't sure when I'd let you in on the fact that I'm here, and reading your beautifully written words - but now that I'm sitting here a bawling, snotty mess - I figure this is a good time.

This was the sweetest thing. You have an amazing way with words. I don't have any kiddos of my own yet - but someday when I do I hope to be able to document our lives in this very same specail way. I'm happy to see that one of the nicest girls I knew in HS is living the full and blessed life she deserves! Happy mothers day to you Lacey! Your family is precious - Thanks for sharing!!

lacey said...

Michelle! Thank you so much for reading my blog! And for the kind words... it is wonderful to hear from you! I'm clickin' over to check out Le Poopy Design... :)

Dianne said...

You can sure tell you're the mom of 3 little kids...You said you were clickin' over to check out Le "Poopy" Design!

Post a Comment